Potassium nitrite
Back to home page
Back to numeric index



A colour fixing and curing agent for meat. Nitrites can effect the body's ability to carry oxygen, resulting in shortness of breath, dizziness and headaches, nausea and vomiting.

It is a potential carcinogen, and is prohibited in foods for infants and young children. Below are the safety precautions required when handling this substance.

Causes irritation. Harmful if swallowed. Strong oxidizer. Contact with other materials may cause fire. Keep from contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not store near combustible materials. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, clothing. Keep in a tightly closed container. Wash thoroughly after handling. In case of fire, soak with water. In case of spill, sweep up and remove. Flush spill area with water. Contact with skin or eyes may cause irritation. Ingestion may cause nausea, vomiting and loss of consciousness.

Not recommended for consumption by children.